Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Quick Hello

I've got 3 wonderful days off work in a row and 6 weeks worth of work to get done. Such is life on the homestead. The weather is wonderful today, up to 70 degrees already. I spent the morning engaged in goat midwifery and ended up elbow deep in the south end of a north bound doe. Yes, I know it's yucky, but it's life. My daughter lives in dread fear of the goats going into labor without me around. She could handle it, she just doesn't know it yet. This is a woman in her early 20's who is an outstanding mother to two very independent minded homeschooled children under age 6 (both birthed sans medication with little more than a moan), has made a home for a family of 4 in a 12 ft. x 12ft. shed, and who at one time welded trailers for a living and can make the prettiest seam with a 1912 Singer treadle sewing machine. I think she can handle it.

I found this interesting article on agrarianism. Speaking of agrarianism and particularily Christian agrarians, I stumbled on the term while researching Christian viewpoints regarding NAIS (National Animal Identification System.) I thought to myself, "Wow, finally a label for who I am." I was pleased to find out that there were others who shared the designation.

http://www.profam.org/pub/fia/fia-1503.htm

This will be a short post; the garden's calling and the laundry needs hanging.

Till next time, blessings.

Judy at Tabletop Homestead

2 comments:

FarmSchooler said...

Judy, the link doesnt work :(

Anonymous said...

what a lovely and flattering description of Rachel. I hope she does realize her worth!

~Shannon