Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Goose Eggs and Free Firewood

 

I don't have anything especially interesting or educational to write today, but if I don't keep up the habit it will be months again before I post.  Procrastination has a way of stalling out productivity.

This morning I was blessed to do some homeschooling with my granddaughter.  Oran, my grandson who just turned 3, has become especially interested in his sister's schooling.  I made him 6 flashcards - A, B, C, 1, 2 and 3.  He had them mastered within 5 minutes.   Lianna and I fixed a bit of breakfast for ourselves: cream of wheat and scrambled goose egg.  We started with the cream of wheat and used the making of it as a math teaching tool, then she asked if we could have eggs also.  I said "Sure" and she told me that she really liked goose eggs best.  We've only this year started eating our goose eggs.  I decided it was no use for the geese to lay them only to have them freeze before they got around to sitting on them, so I decided to try to use those that were laid before warm weather came.  I've found them to be outstanding.  One goose egg makes 2 ample servings of scrambled eggs and they turn out especially rich and creamy.  Just don't overcook them (the mistake most people make with scrambled eggs.)  Here's how I make scrambled eggs:

Melt real butter in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet so there's about 1/8th inch in the bottom of the skillet.  Match the size of the skillet to the amount of eggs you're cooking. (For 2 or 3 servings I use my 6" skillet.)  Turn the fire down to medium.  Whisk the eggs until the yolks are well distributed in the whites, but not completely blended.  Add a little milk and whisk in.  Pour the eggs into the hot (not too hot) skillet and LEAVE THEM ALONE!.  Yes, I just spoke strongly but it's the most important thing to do to not end up with a big mess in your cast iron.  When the edges start to set up, gently fold them to the middle with a fork.  Continue this gentle lifting and folding until most of the egg is soft set.  You can see when the sticking stops.  You may have to turn the fire down low if they seem to be cooking too fast.  When most of the eggs are set, turn off the fire and continue to lift and stir gently.  Patience, patience, patience is the key to good scrambled eggs.  Once they're all set, you can chop the heck out of them if you like your eggs in small curds.  Salt to taste and serve immediately.  If you do it right and your skillet is well seasoned, clean up consists of wiping the skillet down well with paper towels. :)

My son-in-law Donald came in this afternoon with a pick-up load of well seasoned firewood that he got from a friend.  Seems the fellow had a new chainsaw and just liked playing around with it, so he sawed up a bunch of 3 year old wood just for the fun of it.  What a blessing.  A lot of it was smaller which is an additional blessing as I'm still nursing sore ribs.  Somehow in all the coughing and respiratory illness that has plagued our family this year I've managed to separate a rib.  That means where the rib connects to the sternum it's come loose.  Unfortunately, as with most connective tissue injuries, it's going to take a while to heal, but I'm blessed once again to have my daughter and her family living right in the backyard to help when my husband is working out of town.

We took a drive around a local lake earlier tonight.  The full moon was beautiful.  I have to make a trip to the city tomorrow (that's the Okie term for Oklahoma City) and I do dread it.

 

Till next time, Blessings.

Judy

4 comments:

On A Hill Homestead said...

Judy, Sorry to hear about your injury. We'll be in prayer for a uick healing, so you can get back to 100%.
Blessings, Kris

Anonymous said...

Judy, that is just how I make scrambled eggs too. I'm so glad to see that you are back writing. I so enjoy your comments. I'm not sure about goose eggs, but duck eggs and goats milk make the best baked custard you've every had.
Glad you are back, Manette.

Shannon said...

what a treat to see you posting again!

The coughs this season have been nasty over on this end too. No split ribs though, I hope you mend quickly and fully.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy!

So sorry to hear about your ribs. Must be very painful and a huge character builder! We pray for God's graces and mercies on you and for a speedy recovery. Thanks for your time and efforts to relay your life events and knowledge on your blog.

Susan