Friday, June 22, 2007

"The Real World"

I've thought on this before, but never put it into words. At work today (my alter identity, my "real" one being the me and the life I write about here) I was telling a dear friend about the herb I'd found that increases breast milk production. I directed her here to see the picture. She asked me if I ever wrote about her. I told her I only wrote about my life on the homestead, and that she should come to visit more often. :) The conversation got me to thinking about "real life." So many people who don't understand or oppose a simple agrarian lifestyle like to think they live in the real world and we live in a fantasy. These are the people who live in houses practically identical to their neighbors with 5 feet in between; whose lives center around what they do away from home (work, school, sports); who fall asleep at night to the sound of cars going down the road and sirens; who buy and eat "butter" that is about one molecule away from plastic and meat that is sluiced in various viruses and carbon monoxide before being bound up in polystyrene. They grow "gardens" of completely useless pretty flowers and poison any good ground they may have in order to grow a monoculture of inedible lawn grass. They clothe themselves in the latest fashion, regardless of how uncomfortable, impractical or immodest it might be. They plant a TV and/or internet ready computer in each childs large and plushly appointed individual room, completely sabatoging any chance of real family time. And this, they say, is the real world.

Lord willing I will stay on this piece of out of the way land, serenaded to sleep by the frogs and the cicadas and the whipporwills, with an occasional mid-winter refrain from the coyotes. I will haul my water into the house in a bucket, to keep me humble. I will grow and process my food, my meat, knowingly intimately the realness of what I feed my family. I will make my simple clothes and continue in learning about covering my head in submission to my Lord and my husband. I will create real things, useful things. I will teach my grandchildren and try to provide an example for my daughter. I will venture to town as little as possible, finding ever newer ways to provide for the needs of those I'm responsible for right here on this homestead. I will praise the Lord for the love growing in my home; my good and competant husband, my precious child and grandchildren; the roof over my head; the fertile soil and the gentle animals that keep it so; and for His grace in saving one such as me to a glimpse of heaven such as this.

This is life, as real as it gets.

May you all share the blessing,
Judy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy,

I just finished reading your "Real World" comment. I agree with everything you said. I too have a "real world" job, but long for my retirement in 9 1/2 years so I can retire from the "real world." Thanks for putting into words what I feel.
Manette

Tabletop Homestead said...

Thank you, Manette. I'm glad I could validate. (Ooooh, what a worldly word. LOL)

Dawn said...

Oh I know what you mean! As of 2006, the Lord has really pressed on my heart for a plainer / simpler life and I couldn't be more content with that. In fact, it's exciting to learn, to mature more and to get away and "come out from among them and be seperate". I can't really do much here on a military base in Germany, but I am preparing myself for when we get out of here and back to the States next year. It's so exciting!!! In future months I will be sharing on my blog about things and how the Lord has been working in my life concerning the plain life.

Keep on keeping on!

Tabletop Homestead said...

Dawn,

Thanks. You'ld be amazed at how much you can learn and master in preparation for a simple and separated life even on a military post. And I'd advise anyone in that direction. If there's a chance you might end up in the country there will be enough that you'll find out you don't know. Any head start you can get will help.

My sister and her husband were stationed in Germany in the '70's. She tells a story of her and a girlfriend going out to the local market and purchasing "turnips." They got them home, cut them up and started to cook them. The longer they cooked the stickier they got. She finally figured out she had purchased sugar beets! Now that was a learning experience. :)

Judy