Saturday, August 25, 2007

How To Skin A Cat

One of my favorite sayings is "There's more than one way to skin a cat." I get a bit annoyed on my jaunts around the homesteading communities on the internet when people tell other people, "Oh, you can't do that!" as if there's one way and one way only to accomplish the things we do on the homestead. I'm a bit like a Missourian when I hear that; I want to say "Show me." As far as I'm concerned, right Biblical doctrine is carved in stone. Everything else is, well, it's just everything else. I try, when asked for advice, to use the following guidelines: 1) If I've actually done what it is the person is asking about, I say, "In my experience. . ." 2)If I only have anecdote from other homesteaders or have only read about the activity in question I say "I've heard, or I've read. . . ." and 3) If I'm completely in the dark I say, "I have no clue." I often break the "rules", those directions that are in all the books, often word for word in book after book. I make no apologies for it and I've learned some interesting things along the way. I encourage everyone, when it comes to your personal agrarian journey, to try prayerfully breaking the rules. Learn how to learn, not simply how to follow directions. And mostly, pay no attention to those who would tell you "You cant."

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. Joshua 1:9

As I mentioned in a previous post, my garden is a riotous explosion of grass, at least the south side is, and I'm to the point of harvesting seed and putting it to bed for the winter. I picked all the pole beans that had dried on the vine and am almost finished shelling them out. There are several varieties: rattlesnake, genuine cornfield, white half-runner, Kentucky wonder, Grandma Nellie's mushroom bean and turkey craw bean. The turkey craw beans were surprisingly prolific.

Next I'll be making one more harvest of cowpeas along with sorghum. I did manage to get the peppers weeded, and they're just coming into their harvest season so I'll continue to care for them. David and I discussed how to deal with the grass and have decided to run a bit of electric fence to protect the few things we want to keep and initially turning the goats and horses in followed by the pigs. Ideally, we'll get it all done in time to plant some winter wheat for a cover crop.

I grow only heirloom vegetables and have spent lots of time in the last couple of years collecting, sorting and cataloging seed. At the risk of really upsetting some readers, I'm not sure it's time well spent for me. Let me explain. I value the heirlooms, the history they represent and the genetics they preserve. I will continue to grow heirlooms. But, I also value feeding my family in what I feel will be tumultuous times ahead. I've gardened long enough in the same place to have things that always volunteer. Varieties that actually thrive in the tough climate of the southern plains. I've made a decision to focus less on cataloguing and more on simply saving what grows well. Corn is a soft spot for me, so I will continue to be careful not to let my corn cross and to carefully keep the various varieties separate, but when it comes to beans and cowpeas I'm saving them in a mix and planting them the same way. May the best bean win. Hopefully the time I've spent sorting and separately planting, labeling and harvesting different varieties will be better spent weeding.

I've been asked about my new sourdough starter and am happy to report that it seems to be a wonderful one - not too sour with a rich flavor. I inadvertently left a jar of it on the mantle for over a week and finally got the nerve to do something with it. There was a bit of mold on top. Once you've lived on the land long enough you develop a tolerance for little inconveniences like mold. I scraped it off and the starter still smelled nice. I combined it back with some of the same starter that had been in the fridge and made some really good bread. I baked it in a super hot oven in my cast-iron Dutch oven and it turned out great. One thing I've discovered is that with sourdough you have to be careful to let it rise sufficiently. It makes a world of difference in the texture of the finished loaf.

David and Oran got up this morning for their Saturday trip to the feed store - some "man time" that is so important for little boys. This afternoon or tomorrow we'll be getting the garden ready for grazing, so Lord willing there will be pictures in an upcoming post. School has started for Lianna:

and I caught her praising the Lord the other day:

Finally, a tidbit: Don't store too much propane, if you don't want to be registered with the Department of Homeland Security.

It's time to get to work. Till next time, Blessings.

Judy

5 comments:

Woody said...

I really enjoyed this post. A friend of mine always tells me "if you're going to blow it,,,blow it big".

Tabletop Homestead said...

Thank you, Woody. I'm enjoying reading your Rocky Ridge blog this morning as well.

Peggy said...

its such a blessing visiting here. So many thoughts and experiences shared. Thank you

Tabletop Homestead said...

Thank you, Peggy, for your kind words of encouragement.

Kathi said...

I'll take that tip about storing propane to heart. :-) And I always enjoy your posts!
Joyfully,
Kathi