Monday, August 06, 2007

An Update On Life Without A/C, and a few other notes.

I'm sweaty. It's not that big a deal. I'm at about a week without air conditioning. We did some work on the water cooler on the porch and replaced the pads, pump and drain. We resisted the urge to turn it in through the window to the house. Why? 1) The house is dark and the porch is a much nicer place to take a break. 2) The humidity generated by the water cooler will rust the guns. 3) The dogs and cats are sooooo happy. 4) It gives the children incentive to be outside, where children should be. (No, I'm not anti-child. I believe they need fresh air, sunshine, work to learn from and opportunity for imaginative play.) I figure at my age I would be sweating anyway, so I might as well save electricity while I'm at it. Even while we were using compressor A/C I kept the house at about 80 degrees. That's what I'd recommend for anyone starting this journey. Don't try to go from 70 degrees to 90 degrees overnight. Turn your temperature up a little at a time. The jump from 80 to 87.8 degrees is really no big deal compared to if I had tried to transition from 60 or 70-something. Think frequently about your grandmother or great-grandmother. It was do-able for her, it's do-able for you. Mine hauled water into the house until she was 60. And remember, the advantages to sweating include beautiful skin secondary to pore-cleansing and forced good hydration. :)

I found this on the Reformed Puritan blog:

“The time was when manufactures were literally domestic - the occupations of people in their homes. The industrious producing citizen was a “free-holder,” a name whose vital significance to British liberty our times have almost forgotten. He dwelt under his own roof-tree. He was his own man; he was the free-simple owner of the homestead where his productions were created by the skill and labor of himself and his children, apprentices, and servants. Now all this is changed; the loom is no longer heard in the home; vast factories, owned by the monopolists for whom the cant of the age has already found their appropriate name as “kings of industry,” now undersell the home products everywhere. The axe and hoe which the husbandmen wields, once made at the country forge, the shoe placed on his mule’s feet, the plow with which he turns the soil, the very helve in his tool, all come from the factory. The home industry of the housewife in brewing her own yeast can hardly survive, but is supplanted by your factory “baking powders,” in which chemical adulterations may have full play. This production is centralized. Capital is collected in commanding masses, at whose bidding the free-holding citizen is sunk into the multitudinous hireling proletariat. Conditions of social organization are again produced, fully parallel to the worst results of feudalism, in their incompatibility with republican institutions.From these changes have resulted the extreme inequalities of fortune, expenditures and luxury which now deform American society.”

~ R. L. Dabney, “The New South”. A Discourse delivered at the Annual Commencement of Hampden Sidney College, June 15, 1882. Discussions, Vol. IV - Secular.

Summer is finally here, after our long and wet spring. But, fall is in the air also. Just the other day I saw several signs of fall that were at least 3 weeks early: goldenrod blooming, blazing star blooming, broomweed getting ready to bloom along with a certain feel to the air and angle to the sun. This winter could turn out to be quite a bit of fun.

The seasons pass so quickly now, and I feel such an urgency to get done what I feel called to get done. Not that any of it matters as we are not saved by works, but I believe that God endowed us, at least some of us, with that sense of urgency. I don't know why, but I'll continue to work hard and try to influence my family to work hard in anticipation of a glorious, eternal homestead.

And just in case anyone was wondering, Oran the Superfluously Naughty One is, well, he's cleaner:

Until next time, Blessings.

Judy

8 comments:

Carla Lynne Klimuk said...

Hi Judy,

I'm so glad I found your blog today. We're without the AC too, in our RV's... feels good to sweat out those toxins and clean the skin.

I had fun reading some of your older posts...hope you'll stop by soon too...

In grace,
Carla Lynne

Anonymous said...

Dear Judy,

Thank you for the link. May the Lord bless us as we both seek to live simple, seperate and deliberate lives unto Him.

David McCrory
The Reformed Puritan

Tabletop Homestead said...

Thank you, David. I do enjoy your blog.

Dawn said...

Here in the military housing in Germany there is no a/c either. Now Germany normally isn't known to get hot, and we have been lucky this summer, only about 5 hot days, but last year it got to the near 100's. You can guarantee I was plopped on the sofa in front of a fan drinking ice water to cool me down. And it worked of course. I don't mind not having a/c but when it's extremely hot and the sun is blazing in your kitcen window while you are heating up the house even more with cooking, yeah, then it gets kind of uncomfortable...LOL
When we lived in Oklahoma, and hubby would go off to work and it was me home, I too, would turn the a/c to 80-85 degrees even in the hot summer months. It still was comfortable in the house and our electric bills in the summer were between $30-$40 a month. Can't beat that! When DH and I would be out and about in OKC or Wichita Falls TX, we would turn the a/c to 90 degrees. It never clicked on when we were gone, so that saved us more money.
We did the same thing with the heat, when I was home alone, I wouldn't even have the heat on. We really only turned it on at night.
It's fun trying to find ways to save money :)

God Bless You!

Anonymous said...

Hi: I just came linking around from the Kansas Milkmaid and was looking at your site. On July 13 (I think) you posted a picture of some bacon on your stove. I have a stove like it, Maytag. It has a dutch oven where your back left burner is. I love my stove especially for the space between the burners. I would like a bigger oven, but I'm not trading, ever! I do a lot of baking, but I found a way to bake 4 loaves of bread. I've had it for 20 years or more and got it from a neighbour who was moving. What a blessing.
How long have you had yours. If this information is here already, I apologize. I'll keep looking.
In His hands. ^__^

Tabletop Homestead said...

Nora,

It is a 1940s-50s vintage Maytag Dutch Oven range. Mine doesn't have the bean well like yours. They called it a Dutch Oven because of the castiron plate in the bottom of the oven. It was a gas saving feature, whereby you could load the oven, partially cook the food, then turn the oven off (or set the timer to do it) and let the heat stored in the mass of the cast iron finish cooking the meal. Kind of like a real Dutch oven. It's great for supplemental heat in the winter time because after I'm done baking the oven radiates heat for a long time. I've had it for several years and actually have another one on the porch for summer cooking.

Dawn Marie,

It is fun finding ways to save. Really, you eventually do acclimate to the warmer house temps, if you can make it through the first week or so.

Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy:
Thanks for the information about the stove. I knew about the cast iron plate, but did not know it was for 'economy' baking. I usually bake all day on bake day so, could not take advantage of the 'extra heat'. My stove gets very, very hot--I don't think the thermostat works--or maybe the insulation has decayed. I can barely use it in summer, only for a quick cake. Eating lots of salads and TOMATOES, what a crop we have this year. We got our 1" plants from our Amish friends--these are the best in many many years.
In His hands, ^__^

Tabletop Homestead said...

Thanks Carla. Do you have a blog? The link on your name didn't work.

Judy