Monday, July 30, 2007

A Few Bits and Pieces

We all know this one well, but it never hurts to review.

Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. Titus 2:3-5

I received an especially generous birthday windfall recently and hot-footed it down to the local restaurant and janitorial supply. I purchased a lovely stainless steel colander and a good stainless grater along with a canner-sized restaurant quality pot and two 2-pound bread pans. Ladies, it is always worth your while to purchase quality kitchen and homekeeping equipment, even if you have to make-do with junk and save your egg money to do it. Forget the various forms of global discount stores when it comes to these purchases and go for professional quality that will work well and last. I can promise you that if our pioneer grandmothers had access to stainless steel they would have abandoned enamalware and tin in a heartbeat. I love the history and heritage of old kitchenware, but in the long run you're better off hanging it on the wall and buying quality tools for the very important work you do in the kitchen.

I found a really good bread making site, complete with instructional video. I'm on a quest for the secret to making a chewy, rustic sourdough loaf with blistered crust and big holes out of predominantly whole wheat flour. I lost the starter I'd had for several years, probably because I gave myself a bit too much leeway as to what to add to it, and have had to make another one. So far, everything seems to be going well. I used freshly ground organic whole wheat, bottled water (no chlorine) and a touch of malt flour. I honestly don't know the rationale for adding the malt, but I found reference to it here so I thought I'd give it a try. Every day, or even every 12 hours if I think of it, I've been feeding the starter by discarding half and replacing it with the same amount of freshly ground flour and un-chlorinated water to make a soft dough. Time will tell if it will all work out, but so far it looks promising.

Here are some other interesting sourdough links I found:

Sourdough Baking

Carl Griffiths 1847 Sourdough Starter - free for a SASE

rec.food.sourdough Starter FAQ

Citric Acid: For me, citric acid powder is a household essential. I started out using it in making goat milk mozzarella, and have since found many uses for it. It's great for lots of applications that call for vinegar (natural cleaning products, cleaning out the coffee pot, polishing the rust off of cast iron, etc.) 1/4 teaspoonful mixed in a quart of water makes a good hair rinse for use after using a soap-based shampoo. You get the same effect (removes soap curd and adds shine and manageability) without smelling like a pickle. Some older recipes call for "sour salt." This was nothing but citric acid. I make a refreshing summer drink out of shiso leaves (which is an whole new post in itself) that uses a bit of citric acid for tang. I buy my citric acid powder online from Liberty Natural Products.

Here's an interesting blog with a recipe for Shiso drink

I got the first batch of cowpeas canned and was blessed that all the jars sealed. Today I'm using my big, new pot to make a monster batch of pinto beans to can. Some might ask why can something that keeps so well in it's natural state? Cooking beans right can be fairly fuel intensive, plus the fact that it heats up the house. I use basically the same amount of fuel in the same amount of time canning up a large batch as I would cooking a single batch. Plus, a quart of perfectly cooked pintos is wonderful convenience food. I'll document the entire process in a later post.

And finally, Kathi, my friend at at Oak Hill Homestead faithfully posts Thankful Thursdays. They always make me feel good.

Till next time, Blessings.

Judy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judy,

How is your sourdough starter coming? I started one, but it would not proof when I was ready to bake bread.

Manette