Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Tomatoes, Cowpeas and Stagefright

I have 2 favorite ways to preserve tomatoes. Both save space, after all the bulk of the tomato is water, and concentrate the great summertime tomato flavor. One way is by dehydrating. I like to use small to medium sized paste type tomatoes cut in half. I scrape out the seeds and salt lightly before putting in the dehydrator at about 110 degrees and dry them until crunchy. The ones you buy in the store packed in oil are more leathery and that's nice, but for efficient preservation I like them dry so there's less chance of mold. I can always reconstitute them to the degree I prefer before using. The second method I like is to preserve tomatoes as paste. Again, tomatoes are mostly water, so I start out by chopping them coursely, salt them and heat them briefly, then pile them into a colander over a bowel to catch the very best tomato juice in the world. After they drain I run them through a food mill to remove skin and seeds and put them into the crock where I cook them on low with the top off until they cook down into the most lovely tomato paste you ever tasted. No crockpot, no electricity, no problem. Pour the puree into shallow pans, cover with cheesecloth or something similar to keep the bugs out and let the sun do the work. Undoubtedly the Lord wished me to talk about tomatoes this year instead of dealing with them, as I have none. Now southern peas, that's a different story. . .

I've talked before about "manna from Heaven" on the homestead. That's whatever crop produces in abundance in a particular year. Some years, here on Tabletop Homestead, it's been squash. That's not going to be this year, as best I can ascertain I have my first case of squash vine borers. This year the winner is. . . .


Southern peas, otherwise known as cowpeas or specifically black-eyed peas, cream peas, crowder peas or several other names. They're all Vigna sp. in the Latin.

I'm going to be putting together a list of good recipes for southern peas as the beginning of my personal cookbook. I nag David all the time, when he makes something delicious, about not writing down what he put in it, but I'm just as bad.

A good list of black-eyed pea recipes.

More recipes.

301 black-eyed pea recipes.

And so it goes. Google "recipes" and search "black-eyed peas" within the original search.

This is one particular recipe that interests me, as I'm also trying to build a repertoire of whole wheat recipes and bulgar isn't hard to produce at home from stored whole wheat. I was also thinking about how one could substitute things like lamb's quarter or poke for the spinach. I haven't tried this recept yet, but I believe it has the makings of a good basic recipe that could be adapted to other nice additions (tomatoes, peppers, nuts or seeds, fresh cheese or sour cream, etc.)

SPINACH WITH BLACK-EYED PEAS

Printed from COOKS.COM


1 lb. spinach, frozen or fresh (defrost frozen)
1/2 c. bulgur wheat #2, soaked 20 minutes
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1 c. dried black-eyed peas
1 med. onion, minced

Steam spinach; drain and chop; set aside. Cook black-eyed peas until well done but still firm. Drain and set aside. Brown onion in oil. Add peas, mix well. Add to spinach and wheat (bulgur). Add salt and pepper to taste.

And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. Genesis 3:10 KJV

At work the other day I pulled up my blog to show off the previously posted picture of Oran the Superfluously Naughty One. Then, when several people said that they wanted to read more I actually had to leave the room. The thing is, I have kept my life very compartmentalized. Folks at work know I'm a little different and I often get "Well, when things go nuts I'm coming to live with you" but still, I have two lives. Now, the people I work worth are dear, dear people who I love, but up to this point I've basically blogged to an anonymous audience. I almost feel now like someone who's pulled up to a stoplight enthusiastically singing a song or giving themselves a good talking to when they look over and realize the people in the next car are watching their every move. It kind of makes you want to duck your head and go "Oops." I'm a little concerned that now that I actually have to come face to face on a regular basis with people who may read my musings it might somehow distort the integrity of my writing. I happen to be the most introverted person I know and have over the years learned to manage this in a people-oriented field of work. I know, though, that God takes us out of our comfort zones in his own time and at his own good pleasure and on that note I welcome my new readers and re-commit myself to keep sharing honestly what goes on here at Tabletop Homestead.

Until next time, Blessings.

Judy

No comments: