Monday, July 23, 2007

There I Go Again

I promised in previous posts to be more faithful in my writing, and wouldn't you know it a month's passed with nary a peep from the Tabletops (that's the Table Hills, or Tabletop Hills, or Tabletop Mountains in south-central Oklahoma for those who don't know us.)

I was blessed a few weeks ago with the opportunity to cut down my working-in-town hours to one 12-hour shift per week. I can't go on enough about the benefits we've reaped despite the cut in cash. Ladies, if you're edgy, stressed or vaguely ill for no apparent reason and you're working full-time, consider cutting back. Put the figures on paper. Consider your gas; vehicle maintenance; value of the vehicle lost due to mileage; clothing; meals eaten out; time taken away from frugal pursuits such as gardening, sewing and food preservation; and the time you lose transitioning between your town job and your role at home. You'll probably find that you don't make nearly as much as you think and the intangible benefits of peace for your spirit are priceless. Though some might disagree, but I speak from having walked way too much of the path of the world. Women are hard-wired to the home. Some just hide it better than others.

The main reason I haven't posted lately is because I've been so blessedly busy here on the homestead. I've concentrated on getting the house in order and am ready to move on the the barnyard and garden. Without sounding like a groupie, which I'm not, I have to add that I've gotten back to my Flylady routines and the fact is they work. There is a segment of the population, especially among ladies, whose minds just flat work differently. Yes, prayer is essential. Discipline is essential. Flylady simply provides a way to slow down and organize our thoughts. She truly understands and capitalizes on how the easily side-tracked female mind works. Learn a few basic principles without turning the teacher into an idol, give glory and thanks to God and it's amazing what can be accomplished. 'Nough said.

My birthday was this week and I asked for and received a tiny voice-activated recorder. I lose 90% of the good ideas that come to me while I'm busy. I've tried carrying a pad and pencil but inevitably end up sweating all over the paper and stabbing myself with the pencil. My dear husband's first question was "How are you going to keep up with a recorder when you can't remember what you had for breakfast?" Then, being the helpful and resourceful man that he is he gave me a little pouch on a string that's just big enough for my recorder and my cell phone which he insists I carry on me when he's gone. The string is long enough to go around my waist and the whole thing works great. Now I can sit down in the evenings with my days "dictation" and transcribe it to the appropriate list, computer file, calendar, etc. I'm on a roll!

Another recent blessing has been satellite internet. It's enabled us to disconnect our land-line phone and it generally works well. The biggest benefit for me has been in the downloading of large text and audio files. Here Dave's finishing up the mounting pole:



We're still working on finishing the pig butchering and I experimented with canning some of the bacon I'd made. Here in southern Oklahoma it's just too hot to hang it, no matter how well it's cured and smoked, so I did a little research and this is what I came up with for my method. I fried the cured and lightly smoked bacon until it was about 3/4 done, packed it into sterile 1/2 pint jars using a jar funnel to keep every speck of grease off the rim, put on hot lids and pressured at 12 pounds for 90 minutes. I added no liquid. At this point, 2 weeks after processing, every jar remains sealed. (Fine print disclaimer: Do as I say, not as I do. Always follow USDA guidelines for home canning). Here's some of the bacon in progress:



The rain we had in June was nothing short of amazing. This is my front herb bed with fennel, sage, soapwort, catnip, and tansy.



I'm in the beginning of a learning/doing curve regarding the Christian woman's headcovering. Knowing that I would need something extremely practical for the kinds of work I do on the homestead, I recently ordered several sizes of scarves in cotton, rayon and silk from Dharma Trading Company. This is a company that specializes in fabric dying and painting and they have lovely quality "blanks", various clothing pieces in white and black. In addition to the scarves there are several pretty, modest dresses and skirts that show promise. My order arrived quickly and I was very satisfied with the quality. This is one of the scarves, a white cotton "gauze" which actually has the feel of a light, finely woven cotton sack towel. It's 27" x 27" which is about the smallest I prefer. It doesn't slip, stays tied and soaks up the sweat. (Yes, I know, Yuck! But it's a fact of life on a homestead in the southern plains.)



And this, well I just don't exactly know what to say about this other than this is Oran being Oran and, well, it's a full time job.



"Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. " James 1:21

Gotta get busy. Till next time, blessings.

Judy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you post! I had no idea you could can bacon, LOL! Just canned my first green beans on Saturday, though, and am inspired to do more, if I could only find a good place to buy more stuff, since my garden is so small this year. Your head-coverings sound very practical for your lifestyle. Oh, and congratulations for cutting back at work! I know how good that feels.
Cathy in Lawton

Anonymous said...

Judy,

I've been waiting and waiting to hear what is going on at Tabletop. Thanks for the update I really enjoy reading your posts. I too have experimented with headcoverings, but I guess it was just not yet time in my spiritual journey for me to take it up full time. See you soon.

Dawn said...

It looks like you have a great homestead!!!! Thank you for sharing the link as to where you got your headcovering. I am a headcovering Christian also!
I see you are in Oklahoma...I used to live there as well...in Lawton. My hubby is in the Army and we were stationed there. We loved Oklahoma and would do anything to get back there. We were only there for a year and a half. Then the Army shipped us to Germany and we have been here for 2 years now. Let's just say we would much rather be in OK anyday!!!
Once hubby gets out of the Army (June 2008) and we get out of Germany at that time, we plan on settling down in Dallas Texas. I can't wait. I told hubby the other day...it's only a 2.5 hour drive back to Lawton!!!! LOL.

Blessings,
Dawn
P.S. I found your blog while I was searching for another headcovering blog. :)

Tabletop Homestead said...

Dawn, we're about 60 miles east of Lawton. My dh is formerly active duty Army and is now NG, full time NG at the moment.

Cathy and ???, thank you both for your kind words. You'ld be amazed, Cathy, what you can can. (That always makes me giggle when I write it.)

Judy

Anna said...

Hello Judy,

That looks like a great headscarf! I've ordered from Dharma Trading before and have been very happy with their quality.

Don't I wish I could cut back on work! Pray that somehow, some way, I could find higher pay and less hours somewhere in Lawton!

~Anna